Friday, January 28, 2011

Bubble Dress part five

More Bubbles!


Finished bodices

Following the pattern instructions, sew the back skirt and back skirt lining together, stopping at the transferred notches and press the seam open.

Sewing fronts to backs

Sew the front skirt to the back skirt on main skirt and the lining, matching notches. 


View A 

For view A in can be helpful to draw the stitching line to help stitch neat curves. Take your time,lift the foot and turn when needed, slow and steady is the way!


Trim the seams View A

Trim the edges with pinking shears or follow the patterns suggestion of trimming and cutting notches as necessary.
Trim the seams view B

Following the pattern turn the skirts the skirts right side out,roll and finger press the side seams. When you are happy with the finish, press the seams with the iron. I press mine to one side.

Skirt and lining view B

View A

As per pattern instructions, mark the stitching line and use pins to hold the layers together.
Top stitch this line.

View A
This next step is a experiment. I love the scallops but was disappointed when they lay flat against the dress. So this time I have stitched them flat top and bottom to see if they will sit up a bit more.

Before

Pressed,pinned then stitched

Side seams
Place the skirt and skirt lining right sides together one inside the other. Pin around the bottom of the two skirts and sew together.


The skirt SHOULD be longer than the lining!
Stitched hems

Elastic marked in equal quarters

Following the pattern, cut your elastic, join and mark in quarters(front,back,side seams). I cut my elastic a good 2'' shorter than the guide as I found my last dress did not balloon enough.

Attaching elastic to the hem

Pin the elastic to the hem evenly, this is simple! Match your pins to the front, back and side seams, a gentle stretch and a few extra pins!

Zigzag the elastic to the seam allowance
Stretch the elastic as you slowly sew, I promise, it's not hard!
Ta-dah!

More ta-dahs


Top stitch the opening 
Match the skirt tops(top skirt and lining) pin together. Following the pattern, top stitch the back opening catching the lining.

Top stitching

Skirt and bodice
Two become One! ( Oh dear, channeling Spice Girls , time to go to bed)!


To be continued.....(only one more, promise)!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I have made mine properly!... however I have also picked up a few tips so far too. I am very much looking forward to seeing how you do the next bit. This is the only O+S pattern that I have made several of, so if you do any more of these tutorials, I would be very interested. Your tutorial is very clear by the way.
    I have been working my way through the two Sunday Brunch jackets all morning. Just top-stitching, hemming and cuffs left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Millie!
    It's just a bit of fun,I am wrapped that you are enjoying it!

    I love the Sunday Brunch jackets, they are a good fit, my twins are still wearing their size 8's and they are 11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole I am so glad that you have started a blog. I have always thought you should have had a blog. Great tutorials for the bubble dress - and as always you are a sewing machine making so many at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen, all Claire's idea, but I am enjoying writing it!
    Have you made the Bubble dress? It is fun to sew.

    ReplyDelete