Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Turn

I received an invite to a swanky cocktail party.
But my posh frock still doesn't fit.
So I had to make another one.
I purchased the Deer and Doe Aubepine when it was released but surprise surprise I hadn't made it.
Perfect opportunity!
Its a very pretty pattern with sweet pleats across the bodice that are echoed in the sleeves.
The waist pulls in with a ribbon running through a casing. I have seen several versions with an elastic waist and faux ribbon tie.
I think I will do that next time too.
The fabric was some hammered silk I picked up on eBay. It fell beautifully but was a nightmare to sew.
I really really struggled with this dress due to my fabric choice. I am so keen to sew it again in an easier cloth.
I went with a soft jersey lining fabric. It matched the drape of the silk perfectly but, again, was a bear to sew.
But super comfy.
I adore the neckline. Its scooped but not low.
The empire line puffs out a bit, I had some serious underwear on here Ladies, I can guarantee  my tummy was flat.
Maybe it was the jersey lining?
So, it was a little fuller on me then the slender model on the website but I am guessing her extra 20 cm's of height probably helped with that.
But Baby, I felt fabulous!
And a good night was had by all!

26 comments:

  1. Baby, you *look* fabulous!! Hot mama!!!! I love this dress, was thinking of trying it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inder, I obsessed for about five seconds but then let it go.
      It is such a comfortable dress to wear but I just felt so jolly pretty.

      I thoroughly recommend it.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Beautiful dress and you look lovely in it. I'd have exactly the same problem and I've only had one child. The interesting thing is how we are so aware of what we look like, it should just be about how we feel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Taryn, its crazy how hard we women can be on ourselves. I felt a bit self conscious about posting my pictures but my Twins were so supportive and I did actually feel fantastic.

      xx N

      Delete
  3. What a stunning dress! I just love the blue silk. You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I love the fabric too, just not sewing it!
      xx N

      Delete
  4. LOL at "serious underwear." You looked beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 'five child waistline' requires serious underwear!

    Thank you so much.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nicole, you look stunning in this dress!! The color really looks beautiful on you and the dress is divine! I love the look of the fit on you as well. I have to buy this pattern for myself and try it now. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, I felt so smart and pretty and so comfortable!
      Bonus!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. I have to agree, you look fabulous! I love the color, the shine of the material, the look of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin, it was definitely worth the endless basting and pinning.
      xx N

      Delete
  8. Truly gorgeous xx
    After my botched attempt at silk sewing, iam (yet again) in awe of your sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justine, I truly over estimated myself with this cloth but it is oh-so-pretty!
      xx N

      Delete
  9. You're one stunning lady, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Cindy, that is so sweet of you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so beautiful - and you look just gorgeous in it. I really want to try this pattern for myself - and even more now! Your struggles with the fabric (I can only imagine those pleat/tucks, eek!) were well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane.
      I was shattered when I finished sewing this but I do love it so.

      I have some soft denim look linen that I think I will use next time.
      xx N

      Delete
  12. You look beautiful. I love that colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katy, not a colour I usually wear but I am being swayed!
      xx N

      Delete
  13. It's a gorgeous dress to go right along with the lovely lady! I look forward to seeing what you do with it in an easier-to-sew fabric, too. I just bought three D&D patterns, and this wasn't one of them. Oh, it was so hard to choose...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Joy. I am so glad you got some to try!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like fun! I love the aubergine on you. I need to try these patterns for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are lovely patterns Melanie with a decent bust allowances. I want to try a few more but I think I will need to add a bit to the waist seams.

    Thank you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete