Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Garden Party Dress-Part Three

Lets finish this!
As directed in the pattern, pre-fold and press the hem.
This will make sewing much easier later.
Gather the top of the sleeve pieces between the notches with two rows of thread.
Pin the sleeve to the dress, matching notches.
If you use vertical pins it can be easier to ease!
Sew the sleeve, check for tucks, press, neaten and press again.

Press the seam towards the sleeve.
Take your time here, press it well and leave it to cool and set.

Pin the side seams matching notches and the underarm seam.
Sew the seam and press well.
Consider clipping the curves and the underarm seam to remove bulk.
Neaten the seam over the clipping.
Press well.
Press the seam towards the dress back.
Consider topstitching the waist band seam, just to hold things in place.
Re-fold the sleeve hem, press and pin.
Turn the dress to the right side and sew on the inside of the sleeve.
Stitch a turning guide. Press a narrow hem along the stitching.
Turn the hem again, press and pin in place.
Stitch the hem and press again.
Sew on the button and embroidery stitch a tread chain.
I have given up on the thread chain, mine always break so I make a small loop of millinery elastic and hand sew that in place.
And there you have it.
Terribly sweet.
Very practical.
And a luverly sew!

Modelled piccies soon! 

xx N

2 comments:

  1. I really love to see how this dress works with longer sleeves. I reckon she can still wear it during winter with a blouse or turtleneck underneath (my girl hates turtlenecks) :)
    PS. I have the same issue with the tread chain (elastic is a much better option around here as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A longer sleeve is more practical for my fair skinned girl in many seasons. Thank you, I like the longer sleeve.

    I don't think my thread chain sewing is up to much.
    Thank you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete