Friday, March 28, 2014

Garden Party Dress- Part Two

Time to do the front!
Isn't it pretty?
Transfer the front gathering line.
Sew a gathering thread along the transferred line. Then sew a second and a third gathering thread either side.

Then two rows of gathering thread along the top of the front piece.
If you wish to add piping do so now.
Don't forget to add the proper seam allowance.
Sew a basting stitch at 4/8ths at the top and bottom of the waistband piece.
Use this a fold line, press it to the wrong side.
I interfaced this piece in my denim version.
Turn and press the long sides underneath.
Mark the centre of the front waist band and the centre of the front piece.
Gather up the threads to fit the waistband piece.
Once you are satisfied with the width, knot the threads and spend some time getting the gathers even.
This dress is all about the gathers!
Use the side notches to line up the waist band.
Pin in place.
 Topstitch the front waist band in place. Take you time and tidy the gathers as you sew. Use a zipper foot if you are using piping.
Pin the bottom edge of the front waist band, easing gathers. Topstitch that in place.
Press well, use the edge of the ironing board/
Remove the gathering threads.
Gather the top of the front to fit the front yoke.
Again, if you knot the threads you will be able to distribute your gathers well.
Pin one of the front yokes right side to the front wrong side.
Match the notches.
Press and trim the seam.
Press the seam up towards the yoke.
Roll this seam under your fingers to make sure it is good and flat.
Pin the shoulder straps to the dress front so that the wrong sides are facing each other.
Match notches and sew with a narrow seam.
Press well.
Prepare the front yoke.
If you wish to use piping, add it now.
Don't forget the correct seam allowance.
Otherwise, sew a basting stitch at 4/8ths, on the notched edge and fold and press along that seam.
I interfaced this piece.
Matching notches pin the front yoke right side  to the wrong side of the dress front sandwiching the straps in between.
Press the seam well and trim.
Under-stitch the seam to the facing if you wish.
I prefer to top stitch.
Flip the facing down, hiding all the raw edges.
Spend some time pressing and getting this piece just right before  pinning in place.
Topstitch in place.
Use a zipper foot if you are using piping.
Topstitched, pressed and oh-so-pretty!
We love it!

xx N

Next up, sleeves and finishing off.

10 comments:

  1. Love it ! Waiting to see how you go with the hand sewn button loop. That is the only part I haven't done on mine and I am procrastinating a little...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Melisa Jane. I shall put you out of your misery. I don't do the embroidery chain stitch, mine always break.
    I use a loop of millinery elastic which I tie in a knot and then hand sew to the wrong side. It has some give and if it does perish it is replaced in a few minutes.
    Isn't it a fun sew?
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's getting so grown up and pretty! The dress suits her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Masha. My baby is getting a big girl.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gathers look great! Oh my is she looking like her older sisters :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin, I love me some gathers!
      xx N

      Delete
  6. Love it!, Thanks for the great tutorial, i will give it a go as soon as I purchase the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, I can't wait to see what you see!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect gathers! I must confess I love making gathers (and pintucks) - they do make everything nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too!
    Plainer fabrics with lovely sewing details make my heart sing.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete