Saturday, January 10, 2015

Baby Hopscotch


I am probably a bit old fashioned.
But I love baby nighties.
I don't get on with wonder suits. Too many poppers and they always seem too hot or not warm enough.
I remember getting one of the babies up to find the legs of the wonder suit wrapped around their belly and knotted.
Daddy had done a night nappy and it all had been a bit too much to deal with.
I like nighties, cardies and something on their feet.
I favour Bonds nighties but they only go up to size 00.
I don't know if you can still buy them, Trixie is wearing the same half dozen I bought for Hugo.
I have many vintage baby patterns that would work but I have always wondered about the Hopscotch dress by Oliver+S.
I asked the question in the excellent O+S forum and received a positive response.
So I decided to have a go!
I made the smallest size 6-12 months, with no mods.
The fabric is some scraps of wool/modal from my Late Lunch tunic.
Perfick!
I did add a skerrick of cotton lace to the neck band and a wee gingham bow.
The lace is pre-gathered with elastic thread so it is perfect for a knit garment.
I sewed it to the neckband with a wide zigzag.
And how did it fit?
It fit adorably.
How cute is this baby?
I think we can call this a success.
Boo!

xx N

16 comments:

  1. This is so very cute! And your girls are adorable! When I had babies, I liked the suits with a horizontal opening in the back like this: http://www.petit-bateau.de/e-shop/product/13452/8V5/baby-strampler-unisex-nicki-mit-hasenmotiv.html#
    Thank you for your wonderful blog, SaSa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SaSa!
      That is a much better baby suit, far better then a dozen poppers to do up.
      Thank you for popping in and commenting.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Argh - too cute! That little nightie is so very sweet and the fit couldn't be better. What a darling little lady your Trixie is becoming. Oh and how amazing that you're still using baby garments handed down through six babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you again today Jane!
      Thank you, Trixie is divine, we love her so much.
      My baby gear has been worn by all my babies and handed around through two girlfriends and my cousin. It has had various pieces added to it on the way.
      I am not sure what to do with it now!

      I am super pleased with the fit, there is a lot of growth from too, as the wool/modal is very stretchy.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love the second last photo.
    Trixie, you are just too sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, she is a poppet even when she doesn't sleep!
      xx N

      Delete
  4. oh so cute :) That nightie is so perfect. I love your attention to the details. I think it's awesome that you have the same nighties from your first born all down to trixie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin.
      I don't get the sewing time I used to so I have to play with the details to get my fun that way, plus my notion supplies are scary!
      It brings back so many memories pulling out the baby things.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. The baby legs! The sliding off baby socks! So much cuteness in this post. Are poppers the same as snaps? Those snap pajamas are the worse. I tried to get as many zipping sleepers for my little guy because the snaps never line up, especially in the middle of the night. But I like your solution, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Elizabeth, snaps=poppers. Silly jolly suits. Nice and stretchy but all those fastenings in the middle of the night and one too many of mine filled the legs with pooh.
    Aren't baby feet the sweetest things?
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word. She is the cutest! She has plumped up so well, and now has those adorable chubby calves that you just want to nom on.

    Anyway, I love this Hopscotch gown! Perfect! My experience is that that pattens runs a bit small, so I'm not surprised that it fits your wee girl perfectly. It makes a great nightgown. You could even cinch in the bottom with elastic for a newborn gown like some people prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elastic at the hem is great idea Inder, it would stop her getting cold feet.
      My fabric was very stretchy so the slim cut sleeves were fine but I think they may have ben too firm in a normal knit.

      She is a lovely chubby girl now, from that wee skinned rabbit that she was.
      xx N

      Delete
  8. Precious and perfect! I love the little touches you added to make it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Cindy. This one almost feels like cheating, as O+S patterns go, so you have time to fiddle with the details.

    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I wish I slept in something as elegant.

    ReplyDelete