Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Thread Theory Fantastic

So proud of myself.
Look what I made!
The fabulous Goldstream peacoat by Thread Theory
This coat is a wonderful sew but it is a lot of work. It is a sewing commitment. It requires concentration but is truly not hard.
Red buttonhole 
There are so many lovely details.
Shoulder pads set into the lining (step by step positioning instructions).
Optional epaulettes at the shoulders 
And the cuffs.
Fully lined pockets with security flaps.
Completely lined with a back vent for movement.
A secret pocket on the inside
Also fully lined.
Fits an I-phone perfectly.
Perfectly finished on the inside.
See these sneaky buttons under the collar?
These ones?
They are for buttoning on the fully lined hood.
The removable fully lined hood!
Nifty.
It dresses down the jacket nicely.
The optional darts give a modern fit.
The hood is just the right size.
I love the slightly fitted back, so elegant.
Just right for my handsome young man.

I used a wool melton for the coat, in a dark charcoal, and for the lining,  some latte coloured duchess satin (just a little heavier in weight).

The main buttons were brown leather knotted ones. I used charcoal enamelled shell for attaching the hood.

I used a very thin shoulder pad as Hugo is not a huge lad and we didn't want him to look like a rugby player.

I spent three weeks working on this coat. It was a true labour of love.
Hugo loves it and it makes me so happy and proud to think he may wear it for years to come. I love to think he may wear it as he goes off to university.

I thoroughly enjoyed sewing this coat and I cannot recommend this pattern enough.

Thanks for popping by!

xx N

36 comments:

  1. gorgeous coat, gorgeous boy! I'm sure he will wear it for years to come. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel.
      I am just so happy with this coat, I can't believe I made it.
      The fact that Hugo loves it is the cherry on top.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Nicole it's stunning. Is this the wool that Hugo chose himself and insisted on purchasing? if so, then your collaborative effort has really paid off. He looks wonderful and you've done a fabulous job. I really like it with the hood, it does make it more casual and the slim fit is just perfect. You should be pleased with yourself. Quite rightly so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley, you HAVE to make this one.
      This was the wool I picked up in Eliza's@Sunshine. It was so cheap but awesome quality.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous both in style and workmanship. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. I feel like I could tackle anything now!
      xx N

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous. And how satisfying to sew it up knowing that he will be able to wear it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Masha.
      After years of him growing out of clothes almost as quick as I could sew them it is ironic.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Colette, doncha love our sneaky nod to Sherlock?
      xx N

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. With your house full of beautiful boys, you should definitely check out Thread Theory, Bryanna.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness Nicole that's an amazing achievement. And really kind of nice to be able to do that for an adult-sized child and know it should fit for years! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, I am super pleased. You should definitely check out these patterns.
      xx N

      Delete
  8. This looks fantastic! I have been admiring this for quite a while. I would love to make it for my 16 year old son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend it. It was not a quick sew but the instructions are awesome. I love this company.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness!!!! You have every right to be proud! Also, he kind of reminds me of Sherlock in this coat, which is to say, cough cough, what a handsome lad! :-) You KILLED it, Nicole, I am so so impressed. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inder, I know I am carrying on a bit but I am just so happy with it.
      We are both huge 'Cumberbitches' so appreciate the compliment.
      xx N

      Delete
  10. Wow! That is all I can say! Wow! The coat is absolute perfection on your very handsome son. I would never be able to 'pull off' such perfectly detailed work. I, too, am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen.
      I am sure you could sew this, it is such a great pattern, they really hold your hand.
      xx N

      Delete
  11. Wow! Labor of love, indeed! That is a gorgeous coat! Must feel so nice to have made something so perfect, and especially nice that it should fit him for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope it does fit him for a few years Elizabeth, although I would be pretty happy to sew another.
    Thank you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  13. A handsome man indeed! Perfection in the coat and it looks so sharp! I can see the hard work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Kristin. I really appreciate your comment. I am noticing the sewing for the biggies is a huge investment of time so I nag them to make good decisions.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing job you have done - looks so professionally sewn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Pam. It is such a great pattern company. They make it easy to get great results.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  17. The coat is truly posh! It'll serve him well for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Cindy, seriously, check these out for Patrick.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nicole!! That coat is amazing!! Your craftsmanship and detailing are truly masterful! Beautiful...just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much Cheryl.
    I was so proud of myself and get quite a thrill every time he wears it.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazeballs!! I can't get over how perfect it looks, and Hugo looks very pleased too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Britters, I was tickled pink with it.
      xx N

      Delete
  22. Wow, this Goldstream is absolutely stunning! Great job! I love all the shots you have of the interior as well as the hood on and off - both looks really suit your son. I hope this will be a versatile (and super stylish!) coat that he wears for many years to come! He's really going to look the part at uni :).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so very very much.
    I am so glad I have found your patterns, they are brilliant!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete