Monday, March 21, 2016

Skirt #5093

This post needs a better name.
So does this skirt pattern.
I used a stretch, pale blue denim I picked up in bulk, off eBay a few years back.
The same fabric I made jeans for Hugo from.
The metal buttons were also from eBay,  from this seller.
I had to make the waist smaller so we moved one of the belt loops.
Next time I will fit the side seams before top stitching. 
I had to pinch quite a bit out and as I had sewn the pockets on already, it was a little fiddly to do.
I had to move the waist button over a tad too and then sewed a press stud to keep the waist flat.
I topstitched  but would under stitch the waist facing if it was any other fabric but denim. The topstitching works on denim.
I got muddled sewing the pocket and should have turned the top over an inch but only turned it 1 cm. I didn't realise until after I had sewn it in place.
Next time I would interface the turned piece.
It took me 4 hours to sew.
I could have got a better fit at her hips, I really need to remember to do a few more 'try on's' whilst sewing.

~Zara's Verdict~
I love it!
It is just what I wanted. I think it looks a little retro and a little modern.
The buttons are light and don't weigh down the skirt, thanks for that advice Mum (I steered her away from traditional jeans buttons as I was concerned they may be a bit heavy NMK)  and thank you for the skirt.




22 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Nicole - perfect style for a teen, and perfect sewing as usual!
    As for the name - well, obviously it should be called the Zara skirt😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Justine!
      Thank you, I am so happy she likes it, teens are hard!
      I shall suggest 'The Zara' skirt.
      xx N

      Delete
    2. The Zara Skirt!!! DUH! That's perfect! I love this skirt on her, and despite your minor issues with it, I'm not at all surprised that Zara gives it her seal of approval! Super cute, and kind of "Bond girl" mod. So hip!

      Delete
    3. I went ahead and suggested it Inder, what a buzz if it is named that.

      She liked 'Bond girl', thank you Inder.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Such a chic skirt for her. I wish when my daughter's that age, I'd have developed some solid skills like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jing.
      She is really happy that it doesn't cling under her bottom, normally they do if they fit at her waist. Thank you for the lovely compliment.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. I really like this skirt shape and the off centered buttons/pocket is great. I'd second Zara skirt for the name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shelley, the patterns are seemingly endless and the ability to customise makes for less fitting (still some, obviously but less)
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely on her Nicole. It sounds like the instructions are not very elaborate if you get muddled and turn only 1cm instead of 1inch. The translation perhaps? It is worth all the effort to have a happy girl wearing it. And it isn't wrap style as I first thought. The illustrations indicated such. It is a button down skirt but off centre and very cute I might add. I was actually thinking of doing something similar woth the city stroll skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamara.
      No, the mistake was all mine, I am not sure what I was thinking, really.
      xx N

      Delete
  6. I love it Nicole! In a slightly longer length this would be a summer staple for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masha, it would be really easy to add length. I would add it to the bottom so you could step out comfortably and chase little ones.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. That looks stunning on her -- well done! I second (third?) the name change to the Zara Skirt.
    My kiddo is turning out to be a hard shape to fit too -- small waist, round bum, long torso -- so I need to start paying attention to the older girl pattern options. I've managed to be lazy for a few years but soon the ready-to-wear will become difficult again, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine!

      I have a lot of trouble sewing for the Twins, they have to be a multi size to get them to fit.
      However, shopping is darn near impossible, especially for swimmers or jeans.
      Good luck!
      xx N

      Delete
  8. Great skirt! And what a lovely comment from Zara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine.

      I was pretty touched too.
      xxN

      Delete
  9. I love this soooo much. Isn't Zara just gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Peta, I think she is rather fab!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thinking you must have a pretty big fabric stash. Most of your posts start with "I bought this in bulk from ebay XX years ago" LOL. I love reading that. It makes me smile.

    This skirt is such a great design. The denim and buttons were perfect for it. Your girls pick such cool patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. He he Kristin. Bay used to be AWESOME for fabric shopping, not so much now but I do have many rolls of denim, linen and lots of lining that I picked up for a good price. I actually get a little shocked when I have to pay retail, it stings!

    Thank you, I can see Lekala work well for us. The patterns are cheap and my girls tend not to have multiples made of anything so It doesn't bother me that it is one size. I am learning a lot of new techniques thanks to Google.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete