Saturday, December 17, 2016

A Farewell Woodland Stroll Cape

Our school is losing a very fine teacher to Canada, next year.
But I am sure her 'swop' will be just as excellent and we will make them welcome.
Liddy wanted me to make her something. I was bit nervous, she is a tiny wee lady with a big bust, not easy to 'guess make' something for.
And then Liddy wore her cape to school and Mrs Schilling declared she wanted one, exactly the same.
Luckily, the Liesl+Co Woodland cape, made that possible.
We decided a dark charcoal button would look a bit more grown up but, otherwise, just the same.
I sewed the 16, due to her bust size, I hope it doesn't swamp her too much. It was too big for me but I have terribly narrow shoulders and my bust puts me in the 10... fingers crossed.
I used a heavy, stretch, satin backed crepe, reversed, for the lining.
With a garment like this the lining makes it, so it is worth choosing carefully. 
I was extremely fussy with my clipping and pressing. After I pressed a seam I Clover Clipped it in place until it was cool. To make sure everything stayed where it should I 'stitched in the ditch' in several places along the seams.

A very good PDF, which is good seeing as I have now bought
 the bloody thing three times!
I purchased it when first released, didn't print it. It was released under new packaging and I bought it again, stupidly, thinking it was a different one but did print it.
I got the neatly stored but not put together printed copy out... to find out only half of it had printed.
 Doh!
No worries, I will just download it again from my account at O+S. Nope, cannot log in.
So, purchased, downloaded, printed, glued, packed AND the PDF is now in Dropbox, just in case.
Lesson learned. 

I wil make one of these for me, I think it will be perfect for those quick trips outside in Winter.
And I want one
And I have to make the pattern worthwhile...

I hope Mrs Schilling finds it useful on the plane, or in Canada in Spring...

xx N

16 comments:

  1. Such a lovely pattern, I imagine the teacher will love it.

    I share your pain - I bought one of the Thread Theory patterns a second time, by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me feel sooo much better!
    It is too easy to buy PDF's, now I will make my self print them, straight away.

    I hope it fits her, she would be on the plane, now, so exciting!
    Thank you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you had to buy it 3 times. We've all done that ! ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you are going to buy one three times, it may as well be a good one!
    I have learned my lesson now.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a perfect gift and the teacher must have been thrilled to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it fits Deb. Liddy asked me to make it Tuesday and she flew out on Sunday.
      I got a lovely text message but she would have been frantic so no photo.
      Poor thing, with your weather she is going to freeze!
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  6. I am not the only one who has purchased the same pattern more than once do to sloppy carelessness? YAY!!! I love solidarity. This is an amazing gift - I wish someone would make one for me,LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, I thought I would get a lecture on being more organised, you have to love the sewing community.
      I do love PDF's though. Country SA, print a pattern at 6pm have it finished at midnight.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. It would be good to layer if a bit baggy. An awesome idea. I hope she has an amazing time over there. Our teacher is going to London and will also be sorely missed (I dread bonding with newbies, they're like a "box of chocolates")

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I am thinking of making one of these for my Mother next birthday, and one for myself for next winter. Looks like a great simple pattern, perfect for layers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      It is a well cut pattern but has some lovely details. Don't skip the gathering all the corners step as it really adds to the finish.
      xx N

      Delete
  9. by the way I just bought the Wee Wonderfuls doll pattern for the second time a few days ago, only to find the printed pattern and instructions 5 minutes after!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack, I am so glad it is not just me!
    xxx N

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. I do love it. It has pride of place in my new wardrobe. I will send a photo soon. I might wear it to school on my first day! Thank you so much. I had no idea that Lidia only asked you to make it Tuesday. You must have sewed non stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you like it.
      Best of luck to you, Liddy will miss you terribly.
      xx N

      Delete