Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Garden Party Dress

Lidia won a place at a music workshop in the city.
And I thought that warranted a new dress.
The Oliver+S Garden Party dress
Liddy is 12 1/2 and this is the size 12, it fits perfectly.
(Her measurements put her out of the size range but I knew this dress had some ease so I chanced it)
The fabric is some shifty polyester stuff Lidia fell in love with at Eliza's of Sunshine. It was $2/m so I let her have it.
It was pretty horrid to sew, wouldn't take a nice pressed fold and was very slippery but is did gather nicely and had beautiful drape.
I swopped the thread chain for a bias loop and used a simple MoP button.
I added a huge hem to help with the fall of the skirt (and to use this nasty stuff, up).

I asked my #sewingfriends for advice for trims.
But I left the final decision to my beautiful girl.
No lace, just bobbles on the sleeves.
I hand sewed them in place after hemming so that I can remove them, easily, if they get tatty.
Liddy was very pleased.
I am so sad she has sized out of this lovely pattern.
There is plenty of length but it is already quite firm across her back and shoulders. 
My little swimmer does not take after her narrowed shouldered mother.
~Lidia's Verdict~
Mummy made me this dress especially for the music camp that I  attended with my friend Jessie.  
It was so perfect for the occasion and I absolutely love the way it twirls out when I spin and the colour is gorgeous. 
I love the little bom boms on the sleeves and I think they are the eccentric, lovely finish to this dress mummy made me.

Nothing  like 'bom boms' 😏 to finish off a dress.

Love this girl!

xx N

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. And how much is Liddy looking like her older sisters?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, do you thinks so? Then again, I don't even think the Twins looks alike.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous age appropriate dress. Perfect for music camp. Looks lovely on Liddy. Lucky young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! And what would the world be like without bom boms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely dress on her, and good for you persevering through that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha, it was horrid but she loves it so!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. I love seeing this pattern in a drapey fabric (despite the polyester!), and on an older girl. I'm looking at it with entirely new eyes now! Gorgeous, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kitty.
      It is nice to see something made up in a different cloth, gives you a new perspective
      xx N

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love that deeeeeeeep hem! It hangs beautifully! The fabric sounds like a pain but I have to say, it is perfect for the gathers and fall of this particular dress. She looks gorgeous and I love the bom boms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis a very deep hem Inder and hand sewn too, doesn't happen very often around here.
      Thank you, she wore it to school, for casual day today, she did look nice.
      xx N

      Delete
  7. A sweet dress for your equally sweet Lidia!

    ReplyDelete