Saturday, December 17, 2016

Burda 6769 A Skirt in the Making

I needed a skirt in my wardrobe capsule, actually two, a black and a denim.

I knew what I wanted, a slim fit, pegged hem but I had to be able to walk quickly, squat and be comfortable in it.

It also needed to be able to be dressed up or down.

My research found me Burda 6769
After reading quite a few reviews I knew it was going to need some work so I made a muslin AND  then a practice skirt before using my precious coated denim.
I made a calico muslin, seams on the outside and Zara helped me tweak it a lot!
This was more design choice then pattern style, I wanted the skirt very shaped at the hem.
I went with the 38, as per my hips but as usual my tummy needed the room but I pinched a lot from the back.
The original and my calico muslin 
Once my calico muslin fits I unpick that and use it as my pattern.
You can see the shape I added to the sides.
I had some stretch cotton sateen leftover from my Hudson's (yet to be blogged) so I made a trial run in that.
Actually, I cut it at the same time and got my Hudson's and this skirt from 2m of 150cm wide cloth, $4/m from Eliza's of Sunshine.
I added back pockets (I used the Ginger jeans ones as they have a nice curved edge).
I seem to have a bit of 'poof' going on over my backside, may need further FAA (flat arse adjustment) or I may have just stretched it a bit when sewing.
I will see how it goes.
And this is why we sew our clothes.
Lots of room for my tummy, one nice flat bum accounted for.
I rarely tuck so this is the view the hoi polloi are going to see.
And I love it!

~My Verdict~
I love it.
I think my trial run is very successful and it has nicely incorporated into my capsule.
I could only sew this is a very stretchy fabric, it needs that extra ease, that said this is a casual going out type skirt. I comfortably squatted on the floor to pick up my twin cousins without any problems.
The PDF pattern was fine, not O+S but fine. NO SEAM ALLOWANCE, my first muslin fit Liddy. The instructions were pretty good, for Burda.
I have a black coated denim and blue denim (which I will distress eek)! on my to do list. 

Thanks for reading!
xx N

12 comments:

  1. I like it!! I'm pretty sure I have this pattern in the stash, must go and look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it Kate. I tried on a groovy one n Witchery but my silly body shape does not suit RTW.
      I hope you make it.
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete
  2. I hope Liddy likes her new skirt ! 😅 Yours is great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I did not sew my 12 year old a wiggle skirt, hehe.
    Thank you, Zara was a huge help.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skirt looks fabulous and you look fabulous in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, I am flying blind with this fitting business but I figure as long as the results work, who gives a flip?
      Zara has been so helpful and patient.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. It's so interesting to see your pattern pieces, thanks for posting those photos. The skirt looks great and I actually like it the best with the untucked shirt. A chic summer outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha. I think sometimes we get frustrated when patterns don't fit but if we think of them as a block, that need fine tuning, it is easier to work at it.
      I know I will never be able to sew a new, woven garment, straight from the packet. Now I have accepted that, muslin is just a part of sewing for me.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  6. So fun to see your work process and the shape of the final pieces, thank you!! (Total sewing geekery here, hehe!) This skirt fits you perfectly and looks comfy too! I also get that poof above the rear in skirts. Must be a flat-arse problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I thought the curved hem was particularly interesting. Yes, more work needed on the FAA.
      xx N

      Delete
  7. I love seeing how your capsule s coming together. I've been inspired to use my sewing time to the fullest and get started on a capsule for myself. My imediate needs are more of the formal/going out items. I have a linen shirt dress (Marigold dress) and a navy semi formal dress (Brisgetown dress) lined up for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Aynsley. What a lovely thing to read.
    It is nice to actually wear the things I sew.
    I am off to check your blog for you lovely sewing.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete