Friday, September 22, 2017

Lekala #4491 for Zara

Have I ever told you just how much I love sewing coats?
It is a lot.
The pressing, the gorgeous fabric, the fact that they last f o r e v e r makes them such a satisfying sew.
I did some serious #ninjacutting with 3 1/2 metres of grey heathered wool coating that I purchased on my Melbourne shopping trip, $12/m.
I got Tildy's cape (to be blogged), a peacoat for Hugo (WIP) and this coat for Zara.
It is Lekala #4491 . They call it a 'cape', I say 'soft jacket', Zara says 'coat'.
Who gives a whoop? It is gorgeous.
The original has a hood but I just couldn't quite get that out.
It suggested lining fabric in the notions but when I printed it, no lining.
I emailed the company (they have great customer service) and it did not, in fact, have a lining however they did talk me through adding one.
Using some gorgeous copper coloured stretch satin (Eliza's Fabric $10/m) I cut the lining from the main pieces, adding a deep tuck at the centre back for ease and laying the sleeve pattern pieces together, cutting the sleeve as one.
The pattern called for the outer edge to be sewn, folded in half and the the raw edge covered with binding.
After bagging the sleeves, I sewed one edge of the outer edge to the inside, easing through the curves.
On the right side, I top-stitched the edge in increments, sewing the long straights first and then hand gathering the curves, removing the basting after top stitching.
The welt pockets took a little fiddling (well, the first one did) and I used one of my labels to cover a little mending where I snipped too far.
The sleeve detail is natty but very firm, okay for me, I have small hands but it is almost too tight for Zara.

So, couture sewing, it aint but a serviceable, fashionable, wearable piece, it is.
The copper satin is apparel not lining quality but is so lush and really does up the ante of the garment.
The back view really sells the custom fit of the Lekala patterns. This jackets hangs limply on Liddy and me but Zara's gorgeous derrière fills it out as per measurements.
~Zara's Verdict~
This coat is absolutely beautiful.
It's so stylish and sophisticated. I feel every bit an adult instead of a goofy teenager (when I am wearing it)

The fabric worked so so well and the lining that Mum managed to create herself is just mind blowing.
~My Verdict~
When Zara said she wanted the leftover from Hugo's peacoat I was expected her to want something similar or a bomber jacket. I was pretty surprised by her choice and wondered if the style was a bit old for her.
She showed me lots of pins on Pinterest and I was convinced.
The long strips leftover from my previous projects worked out just right (except for the hood but I am not sure how that would have worked with our mods, anyway).
The sleeves were very narrow and my sewing brain struggles with the straight edges sewn to a curve, I think it falls in a odd manner but she insists that is exactly what she wanted.
She be happy, I be happy. 

Thanks for reading xx N

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful coat! I love the shape and that lining is GORGEOUS with that gray main fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Tilly chose the lining. I purchased 5 m so I could #ninjacut for several projects. I was surprised and her very sophisticated choice but it is gorgeous.
      Zara has requested a cami.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fabrics, and yes, it is a grown up style - I would wear this every day all winter! - but like Zara, I've always loved more grown up styles, even when (especially when) I was a goofy teenager. I'm still waiting to hit my stride so that I can wear a Chanel suit. It's good to have things to look forward to! This is a fabulous jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inder.
      I think it meant to be sewn in a floppier fabric but I love the structure of the firmer cloth.
      Zara does have great style.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. That is some seriously impressive fabric usage. And the jacket is gorgeous.

    And the more Lekaka projects you post, the more tempted I am to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #ninjacutting for the win Masha.
      It was pretty arsey to get all three pieces out. I think the fact that the cloth was extra wide and Hugo had the jacket shortened. considerably.
      I shopped, with a list, rather then just grabbing ALL the pretty fabric. I am using it up quite nicely.
      Do try Lekala, they are great!
      xx N

      Delete
  4. Wow... just wow. You have yet again sewn a beautiful coat and one that will be well loved by Zara. It doesn't get much better than that. I'm seriously impressed with your ninja cutting skills too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Aynsley. This was a very lucky cut out, i had to cut several pieces, singularly but we got there.
      The fabric was seriously wide too.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. You are just killing it with the Lekala patterns lately! And the ninja cutting. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane.
      It is so nice not to have to faff about with a muslin.
      xx N

      Delete
  6. Great job! I'm never as sure as you seem to be about the fibre content of Eliza's fabrics, but they sure do fit the bill. Looks fantastic on Zara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ask at the counter or check inside the roll, the guy is really knowledgeable.
      Thank you.
      xx N

      Delete
  7. I really like the sleeve finish on this. I didn't realize you had made it out of a coating, at first glance I thought it was a knit. This must be so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a knit would have been a lot easier but now that is done, I really like the firm cloth.
    These guys really surprise me.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete