Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Vintage Pinafore Simplicity 7197

On our way home from our last holiday we did an Op Shop crawl.
In the Horsham St Vinnies I found this gorgeous little number.
I had some odd pieces of denim left from sewing some Hudson's pants for Elsa and an apron for Sarvi.
To try and reduce the stash and to have some projects ready-to-go I have begun the practice of using up the whole piece of fabric.
It is working well, I sew a garment and offer up the leftovers to the Fab Five.
It is quite fun to watch the scrabble.
I find the best way to 'modernise' a vintage pattern is to sew it in solid.
This is a light weight denim that I picked up a few years back.
A 30 m roll purchased on eBay for $30. It bleeds like a stuck pig for the first few washes but does settle nicely.
I used some cute stylised bunny buttons I picked up on my Melbourne trip.
I actually like the pieces best, separately.
The dress was so long I did a huge hem.
I had to piece the skirt of the pinafore but I don't think you can tell.
How cute are these buttons?
How cute is this child?
Those shoulder ruffles!
And the bow!
~My Verdict~
So. In. Love.
The dress was a quick sew, the pinafore was reasonably complicated but so worth it.
I love sewing vintage patterns, I feel quite an accomplishment as they use skills that I don't use as frequently with modern sewing.
Did I mention how much I love shoulder ruffles?

Thanks for reading.
xx N

14 comments:

  1. Oh my word... that is so cute! Trixie looks adorable and I am wishing for a red pair of shoes just like that for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aynsley.
      She does like her shoes, not so keen on the dress initally, she christened it the 'pooh' dress.
      Aren't toddlers sweet?
      xx N

      Delete
  2. It's so sweet! I actually live the pieces together best, though I think the pinafore would be lovely over a white shirt as well.

    Do you have any tips for pre-washing denim? I finally threw my roll of Cone Mills in the wash andbit turned the machine blue. I washed it once and then rinsed with vinegar, then tumble dried. I'm not sure whether that caused enough shrinkage though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use dishwashing liquid Masha, I am not sure where I read it though or why it was best?
      If you tumbled dried it I would think it was well and truly shrunk. I don't tumble dry jeans once sewn but I will tumble dry denim, to make sure but remove when damp.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. OMG!!! Remember when I made this exact pattern, in a not so "modern" selection of fabrics? MAAAAAAAAGGGGIIIIEEEE!!!!! http://www.inderlovesfolkart.com/2013/10/peasant-dress-and-pinafore.html

    Okay, sorry, I just freaked out at how cute that baby girl was! I love this pattern, and now I need to find it a couple sizes bigger so I can make it again! I love both of the pieces you made, but it's the baby girl (again) that gets me the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW I had seen it before, I should have known it was you!
      Thank you.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. Ah, Nicole, I love the whole thing...especially Trixie! Super cute, and very inspired to make it from denim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore this whole set Nicole. It's such a classic look in denim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of modernizing using a solid color and I also think I prefer them separately - I especially love the pinny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      She is getting a lot wear from the dress in the cooler weather and I am sure the pinny will be a favourite, come Summer.
      xx N

      Delete
  7. I love this! I just received the pattern from my Aunt and was about to sew when I realized the instructions were not included...!!!! Any tips on where I can find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave me a way to contact you and I can photocopy them for you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete